Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sunday Post


Let's chat about what's going on this week... on my blog.. on other blogs... on the internet... and just everywhere!    I link up my post to Sunday Post hosted by Kimba the Caffeinated Reader.

Still getting plenty of snow in this part of the world.  I am so ready for some warmer weather. I think next Friday we might just hit 50 degrees.  I can't believe March is here already.  Sometimes time really does just fly by.  I kind of cheated on my goals this year of reading books that I own.  I am participating in Away to Whimsical Fairy Tale Land (see below) and so I am reading a Robin Hood retelling that I checked out from the library. I went to see Fifty Shades of Grey this week... and well... I suppose it's what I expected.  Be sure to come by next week and check out all my posts about Robin Hood!

On the Blog:
Waiting on Wednesday- Finders Keepers Stephen King...
Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Fifty Shades of Grey Movie Review

Around the Blogospere:
-I am just finding out about this event but will totally be participating..A Way to Whimsical Fairy Land is an event all about fairy tale retellings.  I am going to do Robin Hood so be on the look out on the blog that week for some great discussions and reviews. 
Fairy Tale
-Do you wish more villains had a book of their own???  By Paper Fury
- One of my favorite bloggers Herding Cats an Burning Soup talks about age of women in romance novels.  Is it OK that the women are practically all in their 20s???
-Are Male Protagonists a dying breed? - by Wordsmithonia 

Internet:
I love that there is a new Batman trailer out for the new game.  Bummed that it's Rocksteady's last Batman game and I am also bummed that the game is going to be rated M.  This is because my library won't buy and check out games that are rated M.  They will only get ones that are rated T or lower.  I don't get this because they rent rated R movies.... I brought this up to them and this is what they said:

"Public libraries promote and sustain popular culture as part of their charge. Library collections are modified over time to reflect changes in popular culture and technology, as with the acquisition of music, software, and movies. Libraries began to circulate video games in this fashion. It is the philosophy of the public library to provide equitable access to materials of interest to the community, and video games have proven to be popular.
PPLD made an initial decision to circulate games up through the level T, for teen, by the Entertainment Software Rating Board. It was determined at that time the collection was developed that M-rated materials, for mature, would not be added for circulation. This decision was based on the need to develop standards for selecting M-rated games and determining policies related to their circulation.
While Pikes Peak Library District is committed to providing the broadest access possible through its collection of materials, there has been no movement to date on the addition of M-rated games. Analysis of the games and the cultural landscape surrounding them is ongoing."

Anyways... here is the game trailer:

Books Books Books
Currently reading Scarlet by AC Gaughen... and going to be getting to some more comics this week.  What about you?  How is your week going?

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I am SO ready for Spring and warm weather too. I usually love the Winter but man I am tired out of being cold. We got freezing rain to cap off the snow still on the ground today so it's crunchy and slippery and just cold. Come on heat! lol

    Thanks for the post shout out Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Scarlet out from the library - need to read that one soon!! Going over to read your 50 Shades review now ... :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a long way to say we don't feel like coming up with guidelines for M rated games... How about this, same guidelines as R movies? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just downloaded Scarlet, I have been excited to read it and it will be perfect for the fairy tale retelling
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so tired of being cold! We're getting some temps in the 40s and 50s this week but it looks like there will be a lot of rain as well. Oh well better raining and cold than raining and freezing! I really enjoyed your review of Yes Please. It gave me realistic expectations going in. I'm listening to it in audio now and enjoying it but I keep hitting passages that I know would seriously annoy me if I was reading it vs listening. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ready for spring here in Iowa as well. We keep getting snow and then dropping to subzero temps. It has not been fun. Have a great week, Angela.

    Terri M., the Director
    Second Run Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. My girls went to see it and my daughter took her hubby..he fell asleep! I want my flip-flops Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a bummer your library won't get M rated video games. Can they borrow them from other libraries though?

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eek, it's mind-boggling to me how people deal with snow. Rain is enough for me to complain and plan out a way to stay inside all day. :) I hope it warms up for you soon! Thank you for mentioning Away to FairyTale Land- again so happy you are joining in! Looking forward to reading your post tomorrow!


    And hopefully more people will ask about the M rated games - I'm sure if the library sees there's a big demand for them, they will find a way to add it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Batman Arkham games, but I'm sad that they changed the voice actors for the next one. I don't know if I'll play it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think everybody is ready for spring. This winter has been a tough one. I like the Batman trailer. My son and I plan to go see it. It's one that we agree must be seen and heard on the big screen. LOl
    My Sunday Post - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/03/01/whats-new-on-my-bookshelf-99-and-the-sunday-post/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking Angie. I's been an interesting conversation, both on the post and in email responses

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's going to be warmer here this weekend. I am so ready for that. Especially since I have company coming at the end of March. Everything they want to do is outside and they are coming from TX. So it's going to be kind of a shock for them. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny that you checked out Scarlet right now!!!! I was going to do a whole post about Robin Hood and started to write it last night but went straight to the retelling. That review should be up today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know... that answer was sooooo long from the library. I was like... um OK. It's like they felt like they needed to say all that to be justified for their decision. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhh!! Two people who just dowloaded it to read it! I can't wait to see what you guys think about it.

    ReplyDelete