Monday, April 13, 2015

Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor Review

Title: Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Author: Laini Taylor
Pages: 613
Published: April 8th 2014 by Little, Brown & Company
Source: Ebook Library,
Links: goodreads, lainitaylor.com/

By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her, if there can even be a future for the chimaera in war-ravaged Eretz. Common enemy, common cause. When Jael's brutal seraph army trespasses into the human world, the unthinkable becomes essential, and Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people. And, perhaps, for themselves. Toward a new way of living, and maybe even love. But there are bigger threats than Jael in the offing. A vicious queen is hunting Akiva, and, in the skies of Eretz ... something is happening. Massive stains are spreading like bruises from horizon to horizon; the great winged stormhunters are gathering as if summoned, ceaselessly circling, and a deep sense of wrong pervades the world. What power can bruise the sky? From the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond, humans, chimaera and seraphim will fight, strive, love, and die in an epic theater that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy. At the very barriers of space and time, what do gods and monsters dream of? And does anything else matter?
Another series complete. One of my big reading goals this year is to finish all these trilogies I've started so I am glad to get another one down.  I started Dreams of Gods and Monsters last year but am not sure why I ended up putting it down and not finishing it.  So when I restarted reading it recently I just started back at the beginning.   It took me a while to get into it.  It's been a long time since I read the first two books so I had to try to remember what was going on.  The story finally got going though and I was sucked back in.

The author kept the same tone throughout the series.  Never once did I think that the plot was filler.    I even learned a new term for the plot of this book, deus ex machina.  Where gods come in the scene of a tragedy! Yeah for new words. There were a few new characters added in this book.. and though at times it almost got to be too many I enjoyed reading new perspectives that were happening. The only think I really didn't love about the book was the final chapter.  I don't know why but it was boring to me and I found myself scanning the whole thing.  Maybe it was the fact that it was late at night... but I think it's because it went into so much minor detail that I just was over it. 

This series is a great fantasy series. It's the type of book that makes me wish I was the type of person who highlights passages in books so I could write them here for you to enjoy.  But alas... I don't.  I wish I had read all three books together .. I can't stand waiting so long in between series anymore.   I just love how the conclusion of this story is pretty satisfying.   I would recommend this book to everyone looking for high fantasy. 


“It was not a happy ending, but a happy middle—at last, after so many fraught beginnings. Their story would be long. Much would be written of them, some of it in verse, some sung, and some in plain prose, in volumes to be penned for the archives of cities not yet built. Against Karou's express wish, none of it would be dull.”


The end of the book gives us a look into a future that I am hoping Taylor writes more about.  Maybe in a short story, or in a spinoff book??  I can only hope.

5 stars!

My review of the other books in the series:
 
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor

18 comments:

  1. I did really like this series - my review of this one comes later in the month, I believe. I was able to read these all pretty much back-to-back, so it is nice that way. I'm trying to get through a lot of different series I never got around too this year too.

    -lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished the first two books in this series earlier this year. I've had this one for a while now and I'm not sure why I haven't started it yet - I really loved the first two books. I thought the second book in particular was quite good, with none of that slow middle book thing going that some trilogies have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't even started this series yet. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never reviewed this! But I did think it was a satisfying conclusion to the series, despite having too many new characters...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the first book in the series bu haven't managed to pick up the 2nd and last one yet. I'm happy to know that it ends in a satisfying way! I did see a physical copy of this book and it's huge! I should prepare myself to read the 2nd and 3rd back to back so I won't feel too lost!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm of two minds when it comes to series--I usually read the first one and then forget to read the second...sometimes because I don't want the series to end and so I pleasure delay...but then too much time passes OR I never read them at all because they're such a time commitment. I really need to get over BOTH scenarios. I think I might have the first one on audiobook...sounds like it's a really great series (I didn't realize all three were out!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ughh... so many series to keep up with. I really want to get them done. I thought this book was a great ending to the series so I look forward to seeing what you thought in your review. I hope to find another series like this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny... I am not sure why I didn't read this book the first time I had it from the library last year. For some reason I put it off till now. I stopped reading it at chapter 18 so when I checked out the ebook from the library it started me back at chapter 18 but I went ahead and started back over. I would suggest to you to go ahead and read this book while the other two are fresh in your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will love it ... if you like a great YA fantasy series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I really should. I've been having trouble getting into The Dream Thieves and I think it's because I really need to do a reread of The Raven Boys first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is why I really am trying to start reading more complete series. Though at least there is wikipedia which sometimes can help me remember what happened in a series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There were a few too many new characters. But I understand the need for them. It wrapped up the whole story. Though I do wish we might've met them maybe a few times in the books before. You should review the book! I would love to read about what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, that's a good idea, too. And now that I think about it, someone gave me the link to a site that summarizes each book in a series. I should dig that link up and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a big book. I think it was a little daunting at first, but since it was an ebook I couldn't actually see how thick it was while reading. So I'm glad I put in the effort to finish the series. Expect to see more series books up for the next couple months!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always finish series. That's for sure. Though it make take a long time... which isn't my fault. It's because they take so dang long to be released. So when the book does finally get released I am reading other books and have to squeeze in the series again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I heard she's planning on doing a spin off series? I'm not positive about that. I loved this series, but this book is definitely long and has a lot of new/side stuff thrown at you so it can be a bit difficult to get through. I LOVE Laini Taylor's writing though so I'm definitely going to be picking up anything she writes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK..now I must google if there is going to be a spin off series. I almost hope she writes a new series.. I would love to read her writing with a different type of book. I just don't know! Such a good author. I just want to fangirl over her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah I'd be pretty happy with anything she chooses to do haha!

    ReplyDelete