Monday, September 21, 2015

Comic Adventures Issue #29


I read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.


This issue I talk about Batwoman Vol 5, Teen Titans Vol 4Talon Vol. 2, and Red Lanterns Vol 5,

I have enjoyed the Batwoman comics.  Not as much as I was enjoying Batgirl but I still do enjoy them.  As some of you may know.. the creative team behind Batwoman left this comic because of DC not allowing them to have Batwoman (Kate) marry her girlfriend.  Of course DC came back saying that's not why and blah blah.  So here we are with a new staff.   The comic does flow unlike some I've read lately. There is an art thief named Wold Spider running around.  Batwoman fights him and then ends of fighting Nocturna who is a vampire she accidentally let out of Arkham Asylum.  We even get a peak at Batman and Batwoman working together in this volume. A lot of the comic focuses on the breakup of Kate and her girlfriend Maggie. The comic ends with a cliffhanger... I will read the next volume and see where DC takes this one.  As far as I know it's not a canceled series yet.

3 out of 5


I love these comics.  Especially after the show Young Justice.. I just enjoy seeing superhero teens.  This comics introduces us to Beast Boy and Raven and I thought that was really amazing. I haven't read about them in comics yet so seeing them in action was interesting. I haven't read the Teen Titans before but apparently Raven's dad Trigon is always in the mix. So in this comic he comes back in to fight and get Raven to become evil again.  Since the New 52 is really my first introduction in the DC comic world I need to these story lines to be perfect with the new lore.  But this one seems to just assume we know about the characters. There is a love triangle going on... though supposedly it happened because of possession and everyone seems ok with that.  I can't stand love triangles. People hate Raven's new look but personally I like it.  I think it's kind of cool with the feathers on her face.  I give this one 3 out of 5



 Talon has been very interesting to me.  I think the Court of Owls is a great story line.  Volume 2 in the Talon series though wasn't as good as the other Court of Owl stories. The comic continues the story in Volume One where Calvin is fighting the Butcher, Bane, and the Court of Owls.  We see Batman come in and claim he's going to capture Calvin once it's all done. I read this whole section.. then realized it was really an introduction to the fact that Calvin will move on to the Batman Incorporated comic. Ughhh.... I suppose that he just wasn't a strong enough character to keep the Talon comics going.  There was a stand alone comic at the end about Calvin trying to get to the Lazarus pit.  I didn't feel like this had much to do with the story so I skipped it. It was a boring comic to be honest and it's probably good that the series ended here.

3 out of 5



 What is it about the Red Lanterns that I can't get enough of???  The writing in the comics is really good... the stories just flow perfect.  There aren't too many crossover stories in this comic so I think that is also why I am enjoying the series.  This comic did crossover Supergirl but I have been reading those comics so I wasn't very lost.  In this comic we run into her as a red lantern.  A powerful lantern.  At the end of the comic she is back to normal and we really don't find out why (you have to read Supergirl to find out). This comic has Guy Gardener's red lanterns fighting against Atrocities red lanterns.  One wants the red lanterns to be a little good while the other wants them to be pure evil. This is a super long volume. The next volume has a new writer.. which I guess should be expected being that the comic has had such a long run so far.  Bummer though I will give it a try.  5 out of 5




This counts for 44 comics towards my 2015 Graphic Novels Challenge!!



No comments:

Post a Comment