Monday, November 2, 2015

Comic Adventures Issue #31


I read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about Lumberjanes Vol 1, Supergirl Vol 5, Superman/Wonder Woman Vol 2, and  Rat Queens vol. 2.

I kept reading about Lumberjanes on the blogs so I felt like I really needed to check this out. I did think this was cute.  Fun for a young audience... seriously a great gift for a young girl trying to get into comics.The comic is about a group of girls who are off at camp.  As you read a long in the comic each issue is a new badge (like Girl Scouts) that the campers in the comic earn.  Of course these girls earn the badge in a funny way.  The main characters are all girls and from different backgrounds. The comic did make me think about the time when I was in Girl Scouts.  I need to go and find my sash (you know my mom saved it) and see what badges I earned.  Anyways.. I think the stories were really fun and adventurous.  There were times when I didn't love the illustrations (there is a different illustrator for the cover and the panels on the inside).   I liked how different this was from a lot of the comics I've been reading lately.  5 out of 5


There was a time when I was going to quit reading the Supergirl comics.  I just didn't like them.  She was running around all the time crying about how much she hated being on Earth and that no one like her and blah blah. I am glad I continued.  I do read the Red Lantern comics so this one kind of ties into those. If I hadn't been reading those this would not get a high score because I would've been so confused.  I will say though if I didn't read the Red Lanterns I would be annoyed that this one ties into it.  CROSS-OVERS!!  Ugh!  Well... the red ring chooses her because of the things I listed above. As far as I know this is a canceled series.  So I think there is only one or two more volumes.  The new TV show is about to start on NBC and frankly I am nervous about it.  That girl does NOT look like Supergirl to me. Maybe it will be good... like Smallville.  But we'll see.  Glad to see Supergirl comics getting better even though it's close to the end of it's run.
4 out of 5


 Hummm... so here is another cross-over which I didn't figure out until I read a review on goodreads. Turns out this is basically Superman Doomed which is a whole different series. Reading it I did think I was missing some things.  Like Lois being infected by Braniac and Lana Lang in space with some sort of metal guy Steel. The very end has a Future's End story which I also thought was confusing!!  Not realizing again that it was from a whole different series. Cyborg Superman is in this... the real Superman starts turning into Doomsday.... all kinds of stuff.  Then I recently heard that in the next wave of DC comics there is going to be a new Lois and Superman series so I am assuming that Superman and Wonder Woman are going to break up so this is a short lived series right here.  Is there even a volume 3????  This is also a thick comic.. so if you are going to spend the time reading it... I guess you should just read Doomed instead. 1 out of 5
There is one cute picture that comes out of this!



I really loved the first Rat Queens comics.  Just really fun .. especially for female readers and those who play role-playing games.  The comic's style kind of pokes fun at those games in a nice way.  There is a lot of backstory in the comic of the characters which is great.  Makes you care about them, right? Mr. Hot Stuff Saywer needs rescuing... love love.  There is plenty of nudity in this comic so certainly not for those who don't like that.  The girl characters are so fun.  For example, there is one named Violet who is a dwarf who does NOT like to have her beard.  So she shaves it.. until she goes home to visit family and what not and then has to grow it back.  Kind of heartwarming. The art of this series changed during the making of this volume due to the arrest of the old illustrator for domestic abuse.   Kind of a bummer because I liked the art in the first volume a lot.   

5 out of 5



This counts for 52 comics towards my 2015 Graphic Novels Challenge!!


No comments:

Post a Comment