Friday, September 30, 2016

Comic Adventures Issue #46


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This week I talk about Batwoman Vol. 6,  Supergirl Vol. 6 CrucibleTeen Titans Vol. 1 Blinded by the Light, and Superman/Wonder Woman Vol. 4 Dark Truth.



So apparently this was the final issue in the Batwoman New 52 run. I really loved this comic when it first started.  I had never really read or knew much about Batwoman prior to the New 52. Odd things happen in this comic to not even finish a good story about Kate Kane.  Her sister is brought in for a little bit.  She is now Red Alice and she was really an evil killer.  Now she is teaming up with her sister Batwoman.  OK.  Then Morgan Le Fey turns up into this comic as a side story.  There is still the story about vampires. I really didn't like the art either.  It is messy.  I think this comic was kind of rushed.  Like... we have a contract for one more issue so let's just through it together. The characters on the cover are some sort of team pulled together for this comic.  Clayface, Etrigan, and Ragman.  Maybe they are some sort of team in another comic but I had never heard of them working together before.  But hey... let's just throw whatever in this final issue.  Really disappointing end to a comic that started out amazing.  Another comic that failed because behind the scenes there was drama with the writes and DC so the comic and the readers ended up suffering because of it. 

2 out of 5


Another new costume on a superhero.  Supergirl's new outfit isn't too bad though. The comic is about Kara spending time at a school for superheros.  I like that... it's like Monster High (which I secretly love every time I go to my cousin's house and she wants to watch it). Apparently this was the last issue of Supergirl in New 52.... so .. I'm not sure I loved how they ended the series either. I suppose maybe DC knew that the New 52 was coming to an end so they went ahead and started canceling all the titles. I kind of remember now finding out it was canceled right when the show was about to start airing on CBS. I thought the show was really good.  I'm glad that it wasn't completely canceled and it moving to the CW now.  The only thing is our local CW still hasn't bothered to upgrade to HD.  What is this??  2005?  When Smallville used to be on CW we would contact them all the time about getting switched to HD and they would always tell us it was happening next year.  It's 2016 now....  Anyways, I totally just went off on a tangent. I feel like now that this series is finished it never really fleshed out Supergirl.  She was whinny through the whole series, always wondering who she was.  Constantly fighting with Superman.  Never really getting along with the human race.  I think if you haven't read this series you should just go ahead and skip it.
3 out of 5


So... I really enjoy Teen Titans.  I'm not sure why DC had to revamp it in the middle of the New 52 but they did and here it is.  I actually also received a copy of it with my purchase of Justice League vs Teen Titans DC movie (which was pretty good).  The art in the comic was amazing.  Sometimes I had a hard time reading it but that's because the comics that come with the Best Buy special editions of the DC animated movies are small (fitting in the DVD box) so the lettering is tiny. There aren't a lot of introductions of the characters so hopefully you know who everyone is. I also don't know if Power Girl really looks like a teenager?  She looks like a full grown woman! I think this series is continuing into the Rebirth but I'm not sure.  I know it's going up to volume 3 at least. Have you ever checked out the show Teen Titans Go?  It's actually pretty funny.  Blinded by the Light has a lot to do with STARR labs.  I really enjoy reading about STARR Labs so if you enjoy learning more about them this is a good comic for that. 

4 out of 5


Best Buy Edition


This series!  This tiny review will be filled with spoilers so beware.  Clark is all upset because Lois revealed who he was in another comic.  So the whole world knows Clark is Superman and he is trying to hide that.  Wonder Woman is trying to be there for him through all this.  He is so stressed out that he breaks up with her telling her he doesn't love her.  WHAT THE?  I mean... this comic probably doesn't have much time before the New 52 is over.  They couldn't just keep them together?  She is going to be there for him though no matter what (barf) and they end up fighting the New Suicide Squad and just pretty much squashing them.  I don't know.. I feel like a strong woman like Wonder Woman would be pretty ticked at Clark for kicking her to the curb for no reason.  I don't even know how the comic can go on if they are broke up?  I guess there is a volume 5 coming and that's the final volume it seems. This has a little more crossover then I would like from the Superman New 52 and I haven't really kept up with those as much as I would've liked. 

3 out of 5 
This counts for 53 comics towards my 2016 Graphic Novels Challenge.



No comments:

Post a Comment