Monday, June 24, 2013

A Mutiny in Time (Infinity Ring #1) by James Dashner


I just love the The 39 Clues series (for those that don't know these are adventure books ... and they are all written by a different author for each book). So when I was at the bookstore and saw there was another series, The Infinity Ring, that was written in the same format I had to read it.  Here is the goodreads description:

Scholastic's next multi-platform mega-event begins here! History is broken, and three kids must travel back in time to set it right! 
When best friends Dak Smyth and Sera Froste stumble upon the secret of time travel -- a hand-held device known as the Infinity Ring -- they're swept up in a centuries-long secret war for the fate of mankind. Recruited by the Hystorians, a secret society that dates back to Aristotle, the kids learn that history has gone disastrously off course.Now it's up to Dak, Sera, and teenage Hystorian-in-training Riq to travel back in time to fix the Great Breaks . . . and to save Dak's missing parents while they're at it. First stop: Spain, 1492, where a sailor named Christopher Columbus is about to be thrown overboard in a deadly mutiny!.

I have been wanting to read this and while on vacation my niece happened to be reading it so I borrowed it from her and read through it super fast.  I swear it was only like a 2 hour read.  Honestly I didn't love this book.  It starts out with the first 100 pages giving us the introduction about how Dak and Sera end up time traveling with the infinity ring and why.  The world is very different then what we know.  History has been changed somehow.  This really isn't explained in this book why or how this is possible.   So in this book Christopher Columbus was taken over in a mutiny and the kids travel back to the past to fix this (and these kids are young!  I think like 9?).   



The end of the book is then super fast.  The kids trust a bunch of strangers on the ship who just jump up and help them in the mutiny no questions asked.  Everything ties up in a ribbon and the book is done.  I was really disappointed about this.  I wanted more plot to take place in the historical places. More details about the surroundings and culture.  But we didn't get to read much of that.  Looks like there are already four books out in the series, with three more to come.  I am afraid though that these books are too young for me.  I can't decide if I should keep reading or not.  It could be that the author just isn't my style.  Since all the books are written by different authors the next one might be excellent!  I'll have to check out reviews on the next book.





The crystal ball says:



Rain is pouring...  Not sure if this was really worth my time, must get umbrella.

2 comments:

  1. Oh god! I like his Maze Runner series but... I don't want to read more series! What to do? what to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Too many series out there ... I can't take it anymore! hahhahah

      Delete