Monday, August 19, 2013

Every Day by David Levithan -Review


This month's Young Adult Book Club's pick is every day by David Levithan.  I really enjoyed this book and thought it was unique and different.  Here is the goodreads description:

Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl. There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere. It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day. 


I love when my book club picks a stand alone book.  We have so many series that we read so I am glad when I don't start a new one.  This book was good.  I liked the story, I thought it was a different.  It's about a boy A, who wakes up everyday in a new body.  He never tries to change that person's life whose body he takes over.  He just lives their life.  One day while in a teen's life, he meets the boys girlfriend Rhiannon and falls in love.  He now wants to try to actually meet her and tell her the truth.  That he is the same guy she knows just in a different body everyday.  This is a good way for Levithan to teach us some lessons about looks in people.  Not only looks but lessons about gender and sexuality.  Though I did find the book preachy at some points. 

The book is neat.. we get to live a life in the day of many different people.  See how the other side lives.  It reminded me a little of how I always like to go in other people's houses and see how the decorate.  We get to see how over weight kids are treated, a suicidal girl, happy people... all kinds of people.  I loved this.

Spoiler: This book is leaves too much up in the air.  We never really know what happens to the characters or what is in the last emails mentioned in the book.  Which bothers me since we got to read all the previous ones. A gets to the end of the of the book and then he decides he is going to just keep doing what he has been doing all along?????? Such a let down of an ending.  I wonder... if Rhiannon and A were adults would they have been able to make the body-jumping work in a relationship with each other?  Really since they were 16 that would've only been two more years.  End spoiler

I don't know... I liked this book but it falls flat at the very end.. it's just so abrupt. I guess it's one of those books where we are supposed to come up with the ending in our own minds.  I don't mind that , but I do mind if there is a big plot hole.

The crystal ball says:



Fog is coming.....  in the middle of the road on this book!

6 comments:

  1. I just downloaded this book to my Kindle. Strangely enough, a friend is currently writing a film with exactly the same concept and he doesn't even know the book exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH wow... well hope you told him so he doesn't get sued or something!

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to read one of his books. I add it to my list, then time passes and I remove it, I add it again... God, I have to make up my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes.. I enjoyed it but I know how you feel about books getting moved up and down the list.

      Delete
  3. I wasn't going to read this one, but now I kind of want to. I like the idea of seeing a day in the life of a bunch of people. I had open endings so I'm not sure if I'd like that lol. Love the crystal ball btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this book and reading your review has made me want to read it even more! The whole idea of seeing the different variety of people that A takes over makes it so fascinating! I really love how you explain that it's like seeing someone's house. I do that too. ^^ I think I might be a little confuse over the whole changing body thing though....

    Love your review of this book, Angela! :3

    ReplyDelete