Monday, January 16, 2017

Comic Adventures Issue #49


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about Lumberjanes Volume 4 Out of TimeTeen Titans Vol 5 Kid Flash,  The Flash Vol 8 Zoom, and Vision Vol. 1.


The original artist from Volumes 1 & 2 is back.  I really enjoy Brooke Allen's art. This comic focuses on the girls from the camp coming together to save Jen, their camp counselor. We get to see them work together. There is a huge snow storm that comes in the middle of summer while they are out camping. Next thing you know the girls get rescued but Jen gets left behind.  Though, she also gets rescued from someone. The girl who rescues Jen has a crazy back story which leads the readers to learn way more about the camp's past. Looks like the comic is introducing a transgender character.  There is a huge diverse cast of characters in the series. I am hoping this comic doesn't fall into the category where information is kept from the girls for too long.  I fell like some answers about what exactly the camp is should start to come out now.  I just don't want those answers drug out too long just to keep the comic going. That was one of the biggest issues with the book Maze Runner to me. 
5 out of 5


I Had to finish out Teen Titans in the New 52.  Well... there are two Teen Titan series going on in the New 52 and this is the first one they had going. But the story was a little hard to follow since it's a cross over with Forever Evil. The confusion in this comic shows just why the New 52 needed to end and Rebirth needed to begin.  Too many stories crossing paths. Superboy in this comic turns out to not even be the real Superboy.  Apparently, the real Superboy is left back on earth one and you learn about him in his own comic. The comic is about who Kid Flash really is.  A kid from another dimension who is actually some sort of revolutionary killer. I wish this comic had stayed in the present and wrapped up the characters that way.  But instead, we float around the future and see the characters there. It wasn't the best ending to a series, though I've noticed a lot of the New 52 endings haven't been that great.

2 out of 5



The Flash is one of the series in the New 52 I have really enjoyed.  I think Flash's villains are interesting and the stories always have a new direction they can go in. Zoom is a classic Flash villain. I've really been able to learn more about Zoom through the Flash TV show.  So to see him in the comics is interesting. In this comic, Zoom has gathered meta humans from different eras who have received powers by being struck by lighting, similar to what has happened to Barry Allen. Zoom tricks these people into thinking they need to come to 2016 and stop the Flash because he's evil. I did think that the fact that Zoom supposedly spent 500 years with this team was a long long time.  And somehow that whole time he hid from them that he was evil.  Always plot holes somewhere I suppose. Let's be honest though, Flash comics are constantly full of time travel.  Same story, different comic. I think this is the last comic in the Flash New 52.  I look forward to where Rebirth takes the Flash.

4 out of 5

I've been curious about Vision ever since he appeared in the Avenger movies.  So I was excited to see a new Marvel series based on Vision.  I thought it was a really good comic.  I seems to take place after Vision has helped out the Avengers.  He is trying to live a normal life with a family.  Of course his family is Androids. I think I really enjoyed this comic because it's not your traditional superhero comic.  It's more of a creepy story about a family trying to make it in our world that doesn't want to accept them. I think there is unease the entire time you read this novel. You just know this perfect life is falling apart and it's hard because the androids are trying to understand why it isn't going perfectly. The artwork is perfect... it helps the comic feel like horror/creepy.  I enjoy reading a comic that isn't like the others.  I read that some people are upset because Vision has never wanted to be a human in any other runs.  I thought that was a fantastic take on him and helped his title comic be successful.  Great read!

5 out of 5


This counts for 4 comics towards my 2017 Graphic Novel Reading Challenge


No comments:

Post a Comment